Thursday, May 30, 2013

Break out

I have been trying to break out of the world of work for as long as I can remember.  It has been an overarching theme of my life.  Elsewhere in the culture, there has been a return to Stay At Home Mothering (Hat tip to Penelope Trunk), a re-upping  of women to the idea of domestic engineering.  That really hasn't been my thing as I mostly did not have the Mom gene.   I just hate going somewhere each day.

It seemed to me if I could just hone in on the right skill set, or enhance the ones I have naturally, I'd have been able to be self-sufficient and happily ensconced in home a long, long time ago.  But no body gets health care if they stay home.  Not without a lot of money.  With my bronchitis and asthma, I needed work...at least until after 50.  Now that I'm there, I have this continuous record (er CD?  Spotify tune?) playing in my head..."Do your own thing.  Be who you were supposed to be."

But was who I was supposed to be ...a poor elderly woman?

Sometimes I believe that if I mastered the things that vex me my new "able-ness" would be tantamount to a lifetime scholarship that would allow me do what I love...write, read, learn stuff I want to learn, etc.

Here's the truth:  If you want that life, make it happen, even in a tired, broke-down 50 + body.

Period.

Thank God nobody but me reads this crap.

No comments: