Saturday, June 21, 2008

Notes on changing my name

First, let me say, I’ve changed my name more than once…and each has been a transformative moment…I haven’t regretted leaving the old public image behind and trying on the new gal’s clothes. Now, after completing my first nuptials, I’m planning on changing my name yet again.
Why?
  • To claim my place as an adult. My other name changes had to do with my family’s divorces and remarriages, the remnants of my childhood. This name I’m taking on is my partner’s name. We actually picked out this surname for her in response to an identity theft incursion. Now, I’ll join her and we’ll start a new branch in our 21st century family tree.
  • I love beginnings. And isn’t what the threshold of marriage is all about? All last year I yearned for a certain elusive quality of newness. I was able to achieve some change by a shift in my career but I still want more pioneering elements to bring a discreetly different perspective. A name change creates a refreshed persona and I’m deliciously anticipating the ripples this additional development will bring.
  • And lastly, rather surprisingly actually, I want to change my name as another affirmative step in my desire to set and accomplish goals and objectives in my life. If left to my own devices, I’ve more of an inert personality, less likely to change things if the pot isn’t boiling over. Assertive action has typically brought me beneficial results. And so I go forth eager to complete this task I’ve set for myself.

It’ll take a couple of weeks for me to get all the paperwork completed. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: